FARA is pleased to release the second announcement for the 6th Africa Agriculture Science Week 2013 which takes place in Accra from 15-20 July 2013. Download details of the announcement in English / French.
As the target date draws nearer for the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), food and nutrition insecurity remain cardinal problems especially in Africa. Africa has a great potential to feed itself given that 60% of its arable land remains un-utilized and the remaining 40% bear crops with low yields. Of all possible topics that could have been considered at this time, the issue of home grown food security is at the top of the list. Hence in reflecting on a theme for the sixth edition of the Africa Agriculture Science Week , enhancing Africa’s capacity for agricultural innovation was at the front burner of discussions.
Launch of the 6th Africa Agriculture Science Week in Accra.
The Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA) is collaborating with the Government of Ghana through the Ministry of Environment, Science, Technology and Innovation (MESTI) and the Ministry of Food and Agriculture (MoFA ...
published: 2013-05-18 | tagged: homepage
See more publications >>>
The Communique of the Dublin Process which is an initiative of CAADP, the CGIAR, and CAADP’s Development Partners to deepen alignment and collaboration between Africa’s agricultural research, extension, and education programs and the programs of the CGIAR in Africa to facilitate agricultural transformation across the Continent.
MDG goal one aims to eradicate extreme poverty and hunger by halving, between 1990 and 2015, the proportion of people living on less than $1.25 a day. The target of reducing extreme poverty rates by half was met five years ahead of the 2015 deadline when the global poverty rate at $1.25 a day fell in 2010 to less than half the 1990 rate. However, projections indicate that in 2015 almost one billion people will still be living on less than $1.25 per day, most of them in Africa.
When African Heads of State and Government endorsed the CAADP framework in 2003, it was with the vision of creating a common agricultural agenda that will help African countries to attain food security and economic growth thereby meeting the MDG goal one target. Ten years down the line, we have made substantial progress in reducing the number of people living in extreme poverty and hunger, however only a few African countries are set to meet the 2015 target.
In choosing a theme for the 6th Africa Agriculture Science Week, we considered low productivity as the bane of the slow progress towards reaching this target. And we reached the conclusion that Africa can only attain sustainable agricultural productivity through the application of scientific innovations. The 6th Africa Agriculture Science Week was therefore launched on the 17th of May 2013 in Accra Ghana under the theme Africa Feeding Africa through Science and Innovations. The main event will take place from 15 – 20 July in Accra Ghana bringing together all stakeholders in African agriculture, science and technology discuss burning issues and shape the architecture of African ARD over the next three years.
I look forward to seeing you at the Science Week.
published: 2013-05-18 | tagged: ed_corner